Birmingham Careers Service logo

Beyond 16 - Money matters

YOU ARE HERE: Young people > Planning your future > Beyond 16 > Money matters > Can I get Income Support or other benefits while studying?

Normally, 16 to 19 year olds at school or college cannot get Income Support, but there are some exceptions. For example, you may be able to get help if you are the parent of a child who lives with you, or you don’t live with a parent or someone acting as a parent.

You can find out more on GOV.UK’s Benefits pages or by contacting Jobcentre Plus — GOV.UK has a page called Contact Jobcentre Plus. There are links to online benefits calculators at which can help you work out what, if any, benefits you could get, but these might not give accurate results for students and young people under 18.

Page last updated 31 July 2014

Birmingham City Council, Connexions Birmingham, Matrix standard logos
Accessibility options [ Text size 'View' menu ]